Go banana's for Green Banana Flour!
Move over coconut flour, there's a new kid on the block...its Green banana flour!
Being relatively new on the baking scene, green banana flour is slowly making its way into trendy cafes and health foods stores and for good reasons because wow this flour packs a punch when it comes to health benefits!
You might be wondering though...What exactly is green banana flour? Well basically its flour made from green unripe bananas! It is known as a resistance starch, which is probably why it is one of the healthiest flours/products to use for gut healing and general health.
Resistance starch are long chains of glucose that goes through the digestive tract unchanged, thus referred to as resistant. This might sound like a bad thing but actually its these resistant starches that have the most profound healing effects, helping to improved insulin sensitivity, lower blood sugar levels, reduced appetite and heal the gut lining. These starches act like a soluble fibre, which is fermented and feeds the good bacteria in the gut & intestines.
Banana flour is one of the highest sources of resistance starch, leading to amazing health benefits- Here are a few of the benefits of this amazing flour/starch -
- It is a High source of natural Inulin and 5HTP, which is a precursor for serotonin, the happy hormones that is imperative for the health of the gut and nervous system.
- Weight loss – It increases your metabolism and makes you feel full for longer, due to the slow release into the blood stream.
- Due to its gut healing benefits it increases absorption and capacity of antioxidants and minerals – especially calcium.
- Diabetes health - lowers the insulin response and prevents that sugar spike and consequent sugar crash.
- Lowering cholesterol -
- High in probiotics - which feed the good bacteria in the gut and help to create the right environment for good bacteria to survive and thrive.
- High in essential minerals and vitamins including zinc, vitamin E, magnesium, and manganese and abundant in potassium.
- Its gluten free! Which is imperative for not only those with coeliac or gluten sensitivity, but really all of us should be trying to avoid gluten wherever possible!
So how can you add this amazing flour/starch to your life to enjoy the benefits- Here is my delicious healthy banana flour banana cake recipe -
Banana Flour Banana Cake:
1 1/2 cups of Natural Evolution Banana flour
1 cup of dates - pre-soaked in boiling water
2 ripe bananas, 1 extra for decoration
2 organic eggs
1 cup of nut milk
2 heaped tsp of coconut oil
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
Pinch of nutmeg & cinnamon powder
Blend all ingredients together in food processor, except for walnuts, add them in last, then pour into baking tin.
Cook on 180 degrees for 1 hour or until cooked through.
Enjoy warm with some peanut or almond butter!
You can also add some maple syrup or honey for extra sweetness.
Just be warned that this flour is much denser that other flours so its like eating a meal in 1 slice!