Did you know that common commercial sunscreen are full of toxic chemicals, 7 of which are hormone disruptors and toxic to your organs? Not only that, but these nasty ingredients are killing our beautiful corals and sea life. Leaving the once vibrant and colourful reefs, baren like a dessert.
Here are some of the nasty chemicals found in many commercial sunscreens -
1) Oxybenzone - endocrine and hormone disruptor - can cause eczema reaction over the skin
2) Octinoxate - another form of xenoestrogens - which can be harmful for humans and wildlife.
3) Retinyl Palmitate - When exposed to the sun's UV rays, retinol compounds break down and produce destructive free radicals that are toxic to cells, damage DNA, and may lead to cancer.
4) Octocrylene - it absorbs the rays and produces oxygen radicals that can damage cells and cause mutation, it accumulates int the body and can be toxin to the environment.
5) Paraben Preservatives - acute and chronic side effects, can induce allergic reactions, hormone disruption, developmental and reproductive toxicity.
We know with our Australian sun beating down, it's super important to be sun wise and protect ourselves from over exposure to the sun, so thankfully we have beautiful natural alternatives for sunscreen, which work just as well, but instead of nasty chemicals they are rich with beneficial ingredients that help to fight free radicals in the body, which cause sunburn (an immune response) as well as often containing antioxidant rich, skin loving oils.
Some may ask, do they really work though? Well on our recent camping trip I was constantly lathering myself with the "UV natural" brand of sunscreen and was very impressed with the results, I didn't get sunburnt, but my skin was constantly moisturised and felt soft, whilst still getting a light tan.
So yes, you can trust the natural sunscreen, but you may need to find a brand that is rich for you. Here is my list of the top 5 natural sunscreens, that are, nourishing for your skin, protective against harmful UV rays and won't hurt our beautiful ocean life -
1) Uv Natural SPF 30+ -
2) Eco logical skin care SPF 30+
3) Moo goo Natural tinted sunscreen - great for the face -
4) Sunclear SPF 30+
5) Soleo organics SPF 30+
Say cool, stay protected, stay healthy with any one of these beautiful natural sunscreens.
And for a natural after sun sprayhere is my super natural, super cheap, and easy DIY spray recipe:
1 leaf of fresh aloe vera gel (gel from inside scarped into jar) - or you can buy super cheap as well and use for this recipe.
Mix with water - enough to fill the spray bottle
Add 4 drops of Doterra lavender& Doterra frankincense essential oil - shake and leave in fridge untill ready to use.
In health and happiness
Sarah Emily Herbalist